Position: Library Branch Manager
Professional, supervisory and administrative work directing the day to day operation of small, suburban, branch library in the Philadelphia region (Ambler Branch, Wissahickon Valley Public Library, 209 Race Street, Ambler PA, 19002). Reports to and works closely with the Library Director. Work includes developing and implementing programs, services and special events to promote use of the library branch. Supervision is exercised over a staff of professional, para‐professional and clerical employees engaged in various phases of library operations. Applicants must be physically able to operate a variety of job related machines and/or office equipment and be able to move or carry job related objects or materials.
Manages, supervises and participates in all daily service and support operations within the branch:
- Develops services and procedures that are responsive to patron needs.
- Collaborates with community organizations in the service area to plan outreach activities.
- Manages branch technology services, including instructing staff and patrons in the use of technology.
- Participates in committee work to create and meet established goals and objectives.
- Acts as a liaison to the Ambler Branch of the Friends of WVPL.
- Serves as reference librarian for the branch and at the main library on a fixed schedule.
- Selects and orders adult materials & supervises selection of juvenile materials.
- Weeds the adult collection & supervises the weeding of the juvenile collection.
- Prepares reports and statistics for the branch.
- Plans and facilitates adult programming.
- Participates in selecting branch employees, trains staff, and appraises employee performance.
- Supervises and trains volunteers.
- Ensures that the building and grounds of the branch are properly maintained.
- Performs related lower level work including: staffing the circulation desk, processing materials, etc.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Managerial policies, practices and controls related to the management of a branch Library.
- Reference sources, and collection development practices and methods.
- Public relations and customer service practices and procedures.
- Computer hardware, software and peripherals utilized in automated library systems.Ability to:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, volunteers, officials, contractors, community organizations and the general public.
- Provide clear, concise oral and written communication.
- Independently identify problems and create solutions.
- Lead and motivate staff to implement positive change.
Minimum Qualifications Requirements
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited or approved equivalent graduate school.
- Five years of fulltime experience as a professional librarian. Two years of this experience must have been in a supervisory capacity at a public library.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends, stand for extensive periods of time during the work day, lift 25 pounds, and work at both WVPL Main Library and Ambler Branch.
- Benefits include: Vacation Leave, Sick Leave, Personal Days, Paid Holidays, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, and 5% match for 403B retirement plan.
How to Apply
- Email a resume and cover letter to Anne M. Frank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WVPL will review resumes and choose some candidates to schedule for an interview. The application and selection process may take some time and your patience is appreciated. Recruitment is expected to continue until September 30, 2015.It is recommended that you view the Wissahickon Valley Public Library website, to learn more about our organization in preparation for an interview, www.wvpl.org.
Employment offers are conditional upon a successful background check and reference checks. The Wissahickon Valley Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position: Community Outreach Coordinator
Are you enthusiastic, motivated and organized?
Do you love working with people and planning events?
Do you have a degree in marketing, education, event planning or library science?
Are you up on the latest technology and social networking?
Are you looking for a PT job that lets you help the community?
Then read below to learn more about WVPL’s Community Outreach Coordinator Position.
Position: Community Outreach Coordinator
Location: Wissahickon Valley Public Library
650 Skippack Pike, Blue Bell PA 19422
Schedule: Part-Time, 20 hours a week (days, evenings, some weekends)
Hourly Wage: $20 per hour
- Seeks community engagement with residents, non-profit organizations, schools, businesses & government agencies. Develops new relationships for partnership and maintains them.
- Plans, markets & facilitates adult educational events at the Main Library in Blue Bell and other community partner locations.
- Plans & facilitates (1) online marketing using website, email newsletters, social media, electronic signs and online media contacts & (2) print marketing by designing monthly educational event flyers, events signs, and promotional materials.
- Plans & facilitates outreach activities and represents WVPL at community events.
- Plans with library staff & community partners for large events.
- Schedules & facilitates daycare book delivery service.
- Prepares goals, objectives & monthly reports, including statistics on educational events & outreach.
- Manages volunteers who assist in outreach initiatives.
- Oversees the adult educational event & community outreach budgets.
- Identifies, drafts & implements grant proposals for educational events.
- Attends staff meetings & continuing education workshops.
- Performs other related duties.
- Friendly and enthusiastic personal style.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Excellent online social networking and PR skills.
- Excellent organizational and event planning skills.
- Independently motivated problem solver.
- Desire to work in teams and collaborate.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- College Degree required. Prefer degree in Marketing, Project Management, Event Planning, Communication, Education or Library Science.
- Two years of experience in educational event planning and marketing. Prefer hands on experience working with community partners.
- Current PA driver's license & ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted.
How to Apply:
Email a resume and cover letter to Anne M. Frank at email@example.com.
WVPL is advertising this position and reviewing resumes during the month of September 2015.
WVPL will select candidates for interviews in late September and early October 2015.
The Wissahickon Valley Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.