The Wissahickon Valley Public Library (WVPL) is a limited public forum and provides a community room space for library programs and for other meetings and programs of an informational, educational, cultural, and civic nature. The library community room is available to the community consistent with the library’s mission of expression and exchange of ideas. Use of the facilities by other community groups is allowed when not needed by library or library–related activities, programs, and meetings, and when such use does not interfere with or disrupt the programs, activities, and normal operations of the library, or cause a security risk or safety hazard to library staff, property or patrons. The Wissahickon Valley Public Library reserves the right to accept, renew, or reject requests for use of the Community Room under this policy. The Wissahickon Valley Public Library provides meeting room space as a public service but does not endorse the views or opinions of groups utilizing these facilities.
Priority For Use
In the event of conflicts or multiple requests, use of the Community Room will be permitted according to the following priorities:
- WVPL Activities-events sponsored or presented, directly or indirectly, by the Library.
- Library Related Activities-events presented or sponsored, directly or indirectly, by the Friends of the WVPL or similar library related organizations.
- Community Organizations-local governing bodies and administrative boards, serving the Library Community.
- Non-profit Organizations-Educational, civic or cultural groups operating within the Library Community.
- For-profit Organizations
Rules and Regulations
- Non-profit with attendance less than 50- no charge
- Non-profit with attendance 50 to 99- $50 charge
- Non-profit with attendance greater than 100- $100 charge
- For-profit with attendance less than 50- $150 charge
- For-profit with attendance 50 to 99- $200 charge
- For-profit with attendance greater than 100- $250 charge
Hours of Use
All meetings shall be held during the Library’s hours of operation and shall end 15 minutes before the Library closes. Library Hours: Monday-Thursday 10-9, Friday-Saturday 10-5, and Sunday 1-4 (September-May)
Limits of Use
- The Board reserves the right to limit use of the Community Room by organizations whose activities interfere with Library operations, adversely affect public safety or cause public disturbances.
- The Community Room may not be used for private social functions, fundraising (except library fundraisers), to solicit library patrons, or for religious ceremonies. The Community Room may not be reserved for use on a recurring basis for regularly-scheduled meetings, i.e. monthly or weekly meetings.
- Meeting room attendees may not leave children unattended in the library.
- Organizations using the Community Room may not charge for attendance.
- Attendance at meetings is limited to the number permitted by order of the Fire Marshall, 150 people full room/ 64 people half room.
- The following are strictly prohibited in the Community Room: (a) smoking, (b) gambling, (c) alcoholic beverages (except for library sponsored programs), (d) controlled substances, and (e) pets and animals, other than necessary guide animals (except for library sponsored programs), (f) lighted candles or flames (except for sterno used by caterers)
- Use of the library’s audio-visual and projection equipment is limited to library staff and may not be reserved by outside organizations.
- The library staff is NOT at the disposal of the group. It is the responsibility of group to provide any necessary equipment if it is not available in the community room.
Organizations using the Community Room must observe the public accommodation provisions of the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act under which it is unlawful “to discriminate against any person in the full use and enjoyment of such public accommodation, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, national origin, handicap or disability, use of guide or support animals due to blindness, deafness, or physical handicap or because the user is a handler or trainer of such animals.”
Publicity for any event in the Community Room must clearly state that the organization is the SPONSOR and the Library is the LOCATION. Furthermore, the Library telephone number is not to be included in any news releases or flyers publicizing the event.
- In the event that the library closes due to an emergency or inclement weather, use of the meeting room is automatically cancelled and the rental fees will be reimbursed. The renting organization’s contact person will be notified by the library. It is the responsibility of the organization to notify attendees of the cancellation.
- If the renting organization cancels its event or meeting, they must notify the library 48 hours in advance in order to receive reimbursement of rental fees.
- The library reserves the right to cancel any function due to natural disaster, power failure, weather or other unforeseen circumstances. The Library will not be held responsible for any cost(s) incurred as a result of such cancellations.
Procedures and Requirements
Application for Use
- Application for use of the Community Room and payment shall be submitted to the administrative assistant at least 14 days in advance and no more than one year in advance.
- The application form must be signed by an authorized representative of the group who shall attend the meeting and be responsible for the conduct of the meeting attendees and for any damages.
- Each application will be reviewed and the contact person will receive confirmation. The meeting rooms will not be considered scheduled until confirmation is sent.
- The group must furnish adequate insurance for bodily injury and property damage. Insurance certificate must indicate that Wissahickon Valley Public Library is named as additional insured on the policy and include a hold harmless agreement from the organization. Any exceptions must be cleared with the Library Director and/or the Library Board. The certificate of insurance should display limits of at least $500,000 each occurrence, $1,000,000 aggregate, and should add the, WVPL board members, employees, and volunteers as additional insureds.
- The Community Room Use Application is available for download or at the Library..
Use of Food and Beverages
The organization shall specify if food or beverage is to be served. If so, an additional fee of $25.00 per function is charged. The organization must agree to clean the area immediately after use and to remove all trash and garbage from the building.
Room Set-Up and Restoration
- The organization will be required to set up the room for the desired use and is expected to restore the room to the arrangement and condition in which it received the room.
- Nothing may be attached to the walls, ceiling, floor, furniture or sliding room divider. All equipment belonging to the group must be removed immediately at the conclusion of the program or event. Failure to comply may result in a loss of use privilege and charges for maintenance, repair, or clean-up by the Library.
- The Board may modify, amend or supplement this Policy and any applicable rules and regulations as it deems necessary and appropriate. At its discretion, the Board may exempt itself, or any other organization as the Board deems appropriate, from the restrictions and requirements of this Policy and any applicable rules and regulations regarding use of the Community Room. The Board reserves the right to administer this Policy and other matters relating to use of the Community Room through a duly authorized representative.