Masks are required for all patrons over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are WVPL’s hours?

At both branches, you may browse and check out items Monday to Thursday from 10am to 8pm and Friday and Saturday from 10am to 5pm. The library is closed on Sunday.

How do I get to the Ambler Branch Library? 

Get directions from Google Maps.

How do I get to the Main Library in Blue Bell?

Get directions from Google Maps.

How do I get a library card? 

If you are a resident of Ambler Borough, Whitpain Township or Lower Gwynedd Township, fill out the library application and bring it with proof of address (driver’s license, car insurance, rental lease or utility bill) to the library and we will give you a card. A child’s (under the age of 18)  application requires a parent or guardian‘s signature .  The parent or guardian must present identification and proof of residence.

If you don’t live in Ambler Borough, Whitpain Township or Lower Gwynedd Township, visit your home library (listed here) to see a list of Montgomery County Public Libraries. It will help you determine which library to contact to get a card.  Once you have it, you can use it at WVPL.  

If there isn’t a library listed in the township or borough in which you live, you can fill out and print the MCLINC library card application  and bring it to WVPL for processing.

How do I renew my library card?

Come to the library and a circulation desk attendant can help you.  Bring ID showing your current address.

What's happening at the library?  

Check our calendar for upcoming events.  Sign up for Wowbrary to get a weekly email featuring newly added books and movies. Join WVPL's email list to get the latest event updates, emergency cancellations and last-minute program information.

When are story times for children?

Summer story times will be held outside, weather permittng. Please see the calendar for specific times. View our prerecorded storytimes featuring Miss Erin and Miss Michelle HERE.

How do I register for the Kids, Teens, or Adult Summer Reading Club and how do I log the books I read? 

Please see the Summer Reading Challenge page.

Do you offer ESL classes?  

Sometimes. See our ESL page or visit our calendar for upcoming classes.  If not, check with the Montgomery County Literacy Network,

Do you have wireless Internet access?

Yes, connecting is easy.  We also have wireless printing.

Can I print from a wireless device like an iPad, cell phone, Android, or laptop computer?

Yes. You may print from a wireless device to the hot spot printer in the Blue Bell library from anywhere. 

Do you have photocopying?  

Yes. It’s 15 cents per photocopy for black and white and 30 cents for color.

How do I download a book for my eReader (Kindle, Nook, iPad)?  

Please read our easy-to follow instructions or see the videos from Overdrive.

Can I use my flash drive/USB drive/thumb drive on the library computers?


What software can I use on the Internet computers?  

Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.

How do I print from the Internet computers?

It's easy! Follow directions at each computer, or read our handy guide.

Do you have electrical outlets to plug laptops and other devices?

Yes, we do at our Blue Bell location, near the window seating areas. In Ambler, there are many outlets in each room. Just take a look around or ask the staff for assistance.

Where can I pick up my holds?  

At the Blue Bell branch, there is a Self-Holds shelf on the wall to the right as you walk into the building.  At the Ambler branch, the Self-Holds shelf is at the end of the front desk. Check your items out at the front desk or use the self-check machine for a speedy check out.

How do I know which new books have come in?  

Sign up for Wowbrary to get a weekly email. 

When will the book that I borrowed from another library arrive?  

Please login to "My Account" and click on Requests to see where you are on the holds list. Items are available when the status reads, “Held.”

Can I pay with my charge card or debit card?  

Yes, from your home only. At the Library you may pay with cash or check.

When are my books due?

Due dates are on the printed receipt you received at check out or you can log into your account at, and click on Items Out.

How do I renew materials?  

You can call the library at 215-643-1320 or 215-646-1072 or login to your account at, and click on Items Out. Check the box next to the items you want renewed, then click on Renew Selected Items.  Check the new due date to confirm the renewal.

What are WVPL’s check out periods and fines?  

Please see our circulation policy page for check out periods and fines.

What should I do if I lost an item?

Notify a staff member at the circulation desk.  The cost is $1 for a library replacement card.  The cost for a lost book or other material is the replacement cost plus the material processing fee of $5 Hardback materials and $2 Paperback material.  

Why are the fines/hours/policies different for the MCLINC libraries?

MCLINC stands for Montgomery County Library Information Network Consortium.  It is a consortium of independent libraries (not a library system) that have independent library boards that set their policies.  The libraries formed the consortium so that it’s easier for patrons to borrow books from other libraries.

How can I volunteer? 

Just ask! Contact us for more information.

Who are the Friends of the library?  

The Friends are a great group of people who help the library respond to the current needs of our patrons. See the Friends page for more information.

Do you accept donated books?  

Yes! We are glad to accept donations again. Please see our Used Book Donation Guidelines.

Can I rent the Community Room?

Yes, you may rent the Community Room or Conference Room at either branch. Please see the Community Room Use Policy and Application.  For smaller groups, see the Conference Room Applications.

If you don’t see your question answered here, you can call 215-643-1320 or email us

Where can I get help with filing my income taxes?

Various organizations in the area provide free income tax assistance. Please see Tax Prep Alternatives 2021 for details. Or go to